Saturday, October 10, 2026

Pocket Easel: A Simple Tool for Quick Colour Studies

My first look at Pocket Easel, a simple and intuitive app for quick colour studies, plein-air painting, and testing ideas on the go.  132 characters.
A quick study I made while drinking a coffee at the beach.

Yesterday, I used Pocket Easel for the first time. What caught my attention was how quickly I could begin working.

The interface is very minimal, but it never feels confusing. The main tools are easy to find, and the controls feel natural. There are no heavy menus or long setup steps. You can open the app and start painting within seconds.

Pocket Easel is built for quick colour studies rather than detailed illustration. I think that focus is one of its strengths. It encourages you to work with broad shapes, simple compositions, and controlled color choices.

Minimal and simple interface. Nothing gets on the way.


The gamut masking tools are useful for testing limited palettes. They help keep colors connected without turning the process into a technical exercise. This makes the app practical for plein-air painting, thumbnail studies, or testing an idea before starting a larger piece.

I also like that the interface stays out of the way. On a small screen, every extra button can become a distraction. Pocket Easel keeps things clear, giving the canvas and color choices enough space.

After one session, I still need more time to learn its full range. My first impression, though, is very good. It feels simple, thoughtful, and made with a clear purpose.

If you enjoy quick painting studies or want a small digital sketchbook for colour practice, Pocket Easel is worth trying.

#PocketEasel #ColorStudy #DigitalPainting #PleinAirPainting #PaintingPractice #ColorTheory #ArtistTools #MobileArt #DigitalSketchbook #ArtApp

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis