Sunday, October 4, 2026

Portrait Study - Charcoal - Digital - Rebelle 8

 

A first look at Rebelle 8 and the new painting tools shaping my digital studies, texture tests, and painterly workflow.

I finally upgraded to Rebelle 8, and my first impression is very positive. Rebelle 7 was already solid, no doubt.

Rebelle has always held a distinct place in my digital painting setup. It is one of the few tools that makes me think less about software and more about paint. The way brushes, water, texture, and layers react can lead to small surprises, which is often where a study starts to feel alive.

With version 8, several features I had been hoping for have finally arrived. I am still early in the process, so this is not a full review. It is more an honest first response after spending time with the new version and seeing where it may fit into my work.

A Tool Should Get Out of the Way

Good painting software does not make the decisions for you. It gives you enough control to shape the image, then gets out of the way.

Digital tools can become too clean, too predictable, or too focused on effects. A painting needs room for changes of mind. It needs room for broken edges, shifts in texture, and marks that were not planned from the start.

Rebelle has long been good at keeping that sense of material. It gives a digital study some of the push and pull that makes physical media engaging. You can work with a clear plan, but the process can still leave space for accidents and useful turns.

Version 8 feels like a step forward in that direction.

New Possibilities for Studies

The updates have already given me ideas for new tests. I want to spend more time looking at how the tools affect the early stages of a painting, where most of the important decisions happen.

That means testing loose block-ins, edge control, surface texture, and paint build-up. I am also curious about how the new features might help when shifting between broad shapes and smaller passes of detail.

For me, a digital painting tool earns its place when it supports visual thinking. It should help with shape, value, color, and atmosphere. It should not distract from them.

A good study is not about showing every feature in a piece of software. It is about finding the few parts that change how you work.

Why I Keep Coming Back to Rebelle

I work across different kinds of images, from quick painting studies to more structured concept work. Each kind of work needs a slightly different approach.

Some pieces need a clean and fast workflow. Others need more texture, more physicality, and more time spent responding to the surface. Rebelle is strongest for me in that second space.

It invites a more painterly way of working. You can build an image in layers, but it still asks you to pay attention to what the paint is doing. That is a useful reminder when digital work starts to feel too controlled.

The goal is not to copy traditional media perfectly. Digital painting has its own strengths. Still, tools that keep some sense of resistance and material can lead to more interesting decisions.

Still Testing

I have only started with Rebelle 8, so there is plenty left to try. I want to see how the new tools hold up over longer sessions and how they work within a real painting process, not just a quick test file.

Over the next few weeks, I will be using it for studies and sharing what I find along the way. Some tests will work better than others. That is part of the point.

If you are using Rebelle 8, I would be interested to know which new feature has changed your workflow the most.

Congratulations to the team at Escape Motions. This update feels like a good reason to spend more time painting and experimenting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis